Chaltar Achar / Elephant Apple Chutney
Chaltar Achar / Elephant Apple Chutney will remind or take to our childhood (in front every school roadside pickle vendor used to must have this pickle). It is well known for its vibrant orange/ red colour and sweetness to attract kids. You can make without colour, taste will be same. But I used food colour to get the colour. I haven’t said the amount of sugar here because it depends on sourness of elephant apple and your taste bud. Enjoy.
- 1 large elephant apple(chalta)
- 2/3 tsp panch phoron
- 2 cloves garlic(chopped)
- 4-5 dry chillies
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Food colour(option)
- 1/3 cup mustard oil
- Sugar to taste
- Salt to taste
How to make:
- Cut and peel elephant apple and cut into desire size. Wash it and boil it with turmeric and 1 tsp salt.
- Drain water and keep the water. Take elephant apple and tenderize (chheche nin) it.
- Crush panch phoron and chillies together.
- Heat the oil; add garlic and chilli-panch phoron mix.
- When aroma starts coming out, add tenderized pieces.
- Give a stir and add colour, ½ cup left over water and sugar.
- Stir it and taste it if needed add salt and sugar as per your taste.
- Remove from heat and let it cool down before you store it. You can store Chaltar Achar / Elephant Apple Chutney about week in room temperature and about month in refrigerator.