Cholar Dal / Chana Dal / Spilt chick peas ( Puja Special )
This recipe is typical Bangladeshi style in Puja. Enjoy.
- 2 cups Spilt chickpeas / cholar dal /Chana dal
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Dried Red chillies
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1”cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 tbsp fresh Coconut finely chopped
- 4-5 slit Green chillies
- 1 tablespoon Ginger paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp whole Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp sugar or to taste
- Salt to taste
How to make:
- Soak Spilt chickpeas / cholar dal /Chana dal for 4-5 hours to overnight.
- Wash and boil chana dal with ½ tsp salt. After boiling don’t drain away the water.
- Heat oil and then temper with cardamom, cinnamon,clove, bay leaf, dried red chillies, whole cumin seeds and then add Asafoetida (Hing). Stir it and then add the chopped coconut.
- Fry the coconut until it is light brown. Add the ginger paste and stir it.
- After 1-2 minutes add boiled Spilt chickpeas / cholar dal /Chana dal and then add slit green chillies, turmeric powder and salt. Cook it for about 6-8 mins on medium heat.
- Add ghee and sugar ; cover the lid and remove from heat.
- Cholar Dal / Chana Dal / Spilt chick peas ( Puja Special ) goes well with luchi, roti or paratha.