Deshi Shorpunti Dopeyaja / Spicy Olive barb / দেশি শরপুঁটি দোপেয়াজা
Deshi Shorputi mach / Olive Barb is a very tasty fish (please don’t buy high breed one). If you just fry it, it will still delish. But seeing this fish, I feel like to do dopeyaja. So here you go Deshi Shorpunti Dopeyaja / Spicy Olive barb / দেশি শরপুঁটি দোপেয়াজা. Enjoy.
• 6-7 Deshi Shorputi mach / Olive Barb (about 800 grams)
• 1/ 2 cup onion(sliced)
• 2 tablespoon onion paste
• ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
• 1 and ½ teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
• 5-6 green chillies
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaf
• Salt to taste
• ½ cup oil
How to make:
1. Cut, clean and wash the fish; strain the water (don’t need excess water) and add ¼ teaspoon turmeric and ½ teaspoon salt.
2. Heat the oil and when oil is ready, fry fish about 2 minutes each side.
3. Remove fish from oil and in same oil add onion and bay leaf; fry 1-2 minutes.
4. Add onion paste, turmeric, chilli powder, 2 tablespoon and salt. Cook (kosan) it till oil is separated.
5. Add half cup water (or enough water to cook) and bring it to boil.
6. Spread fish in one layer and add whole green chilli. Cook under closed lid till gravy gets thicken up (makhamakh hole) and fish is cooked properly.
7. Add coriander leaf and remove from heat.
8. Serve yummy Deshi Shorpunti Dopeyaja / Spicy Olive barb / দেশি শরপুঁটি দোপেয়াজা with plain rice or polau.
1. For more spice you can cut top end of green chilli.
2. If you want, you can add roasted cumin powder.