Green papaya Curry with Prawn / Pepe Chingri
Green papaya is a unique vegetable with great source of enzymes. Green papaya has better health effects than yellow papaya especially for diet and weight loss. Green papaya curry is good for kidney patient. Green papaya has a very mild, almost bland taste; you can add and enhance it upto your choice. You can add coconut milk or coconut paste to enhance flavour (coconut goes very well with prawn and papaya). You can even use semi ripe papaya (which is still firm), semi ripe papaya has bit sweet taste that gives more flavour to the curry. Hope you like this simple traditional Bangladeshi dish with lots of health benefit. Thanks.
• 800 grams green papaya / পেঁপে
• 150 grams peeled prawn or to your taste
• 3 tablespoon onion paste
• 1/2 turmeric powder
• 1 and ½ teaspoon chilli powder
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (optional)
• 3-4 tablespoon oil
• Salt to taste
How to cook:
- First peel green papaya and cut into small pieces.
- Wash papaya and keep aside.
- Heat the pan with oil on medium heat and fry prawn with ¼ teaspoon turmeric and ½ teaspoon salt for 2 minutes. Remove prawn from oil and keep a side.
- add onion paste and bay leaf in same oil and cook about minute.
- Add turmeric, chilli powder and 1 teaspoon salt and cook till oil comes out.
- Add green papaya pieces, stir it and cover the lid.
- After 2 minute add prawn and 2 cups water or enough water to cook the papaya.
- Cook it under close lid till green papaya becomes tender.
- Check the salt and add coriander leaves.
- Stir again and turn off the heat and serve Green papaya Curry with Prawn / Pepe Chingri with rice.