Ridge Gourd with Prawn / Jhinga Chingri
Ridge Gourd with Prawn / Jhinga Chingri is one of my favourite items cooked by my grandmother (Nani). I tried it with great excitement. I used can coconut cream instead of fresh coconut milk to make it more handy. But if you have chance, use fresh coconut milk.
• 600-800 grams ridge gourd
• 200 grams peeled prawn
• ½ medium onion sliced
• 1 tablespoon onion paste
• 2 tablespoons coconut cream
• 1 teaspoon chilli powder
• ¼ teaspoon turmeric
• 2 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
• 3 tablespoon oil
• Salt to taste
How to make:
1. Peel the skin of ridge gourd. Ridge gourd has very hard skin so try to remove skin well. Cut the ridge gourd like the picture or your choice thick slice. Wash it and keep aside.
2. Heat the pan with oil and fry the onion till becomes soft.
3. Add onion past, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Fry it till oil comes out and add prawns.
4. Cook prawn about 2 minutes and add coconut cream.
5. Cook cream about 2 minutes and add ridge gourd (jhinga) and ½ cup of water.
6. Cook it till ridge gourd (jhinga) becomes tender. Check the salt and add coriander leaves. Remove it from stove.
7. Serve ridge gourd with prawn / jhinga chingri with plain rice.