Kalo Jam / Kala Jamun
By Rownak Jahan,
September 27, 2012Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Kalo jam/ kala jamun is a unique Bangladesh Sweet. It has similar taste like lalmohon/ golap jamun. But kalo jam / kala jamun has darkened texture because of using sugar and more firm. I tried to simplify the process of making kalojam / kala jamun. To me making any sweet is easy if you can keep or maintain temperature, using a range cooker can help you to achieve this easily. So temperature needs to be medium and it needs to be slow fry. If you fry it on high heat, its outside will be cooked; inside will be raw which will make hard sweet.
• 1 and 1/4 cups full cream milk powder
• ¾ cup semolina
• ½ cup self raising flour
• 2 tablespoon sugar
• 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg powder
• 150 ml thicken cream
• Red food color(optional)
• Oil to deep fry(I like to use 2/3 oil and 1/3 ghee)
• ½ cup Mawa
• 3 cups sugar
How to make:
1. First put a sauce pan on heat with 4 cups water, sugar and mace. When sugar is melt and syrup comes into boiling point boiling point, turn off the heat. Keep aside. We need lukewarm syrup to soak the sweet.
2. Mix milk powder, self raising flour, semolina, nutmeg, sugar and cream. Add thicken cream little by little and crumble it up. Don’t make it soft. It will nt be like dough. It will be like crumbly cheese (chana).
3. Divide the dough into 16-18 balls and make each into cylinder shape.
4. Heat the pan on medium with oil for deep fry. When I say deep fry that it means enough oil to deep the sweet while frying. Check the oil to put a little piece of dough in the oil if it sizzles and comes up slowly .It means the oil is ready.
5. When oil is ready (don’t make oil too hot, we will slow fry them), put the sweet in the oil with care and fry it all side till it becomes dark brown.
6. Take out the sweet from oil and straight put into lukewarm syrup. Repeat the same step for rest of sweet.
7. Soak sweet at least ½ hr. Take out the sweets from syrup and roll in mawa.
8. Serve kalo jam / kala jamun chilled.
1. If the dough becomes soft add milk powder and self raising flour 4:1 ration. Such add 1/2 tsp flour and 2 tsp milk powder. on the other hand for hard dough add cream.