By Rownak Jahan,
September 11, 2012Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 75 minutes
In Bangladesh Khichuri is a very common and popular full dish like biriyani. There are several types of Kichuri such as vegetable khichuri, bhuna khichuri, masala khichuri, mutton khichuri/ beef khichuri. Personlly I like vegetable khichuri a lot with fried egg. But today I am doing beef khichuri, though you can make it with mutton just use more ginger and garlic paste. Hope you like this authentic dish with full of flavour.
• 1 kg beef / mutton(small curry cut)
• 3 cups rice
• 2 and ½ cup moong lentil
• 3 cups sliced onion
• 2 tablespoons ginger paste
• 2 tablespoons garlic paste
• 3 tablespoons onion paste
• 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 1 tablespoon chilli powder
• 1 tablespoon coriander powder
• 1 tablespoon roasted cumin powder
• 1 teaspoon mace(crusted)
• 6-8 green chillies
• 4 cardamoms
• 2 “ cinnamon sticks
• 5-6 cloves
• 2 bay leaves
• ½ cup oil
• 4 tablespoon ghee/ clarified butter
• Salt to taste
How to make:
1. Roast moong lentil on slow heat until lentil is crisp. But be careful we don’t want to burn it. And soak in water at least15 minutes. Then drain the water.
2. Soak the rice for 15 minutes. Wash rice and strain it.
3. Marinate meat with all spices except cumin powder for at least half hour.
4. Take a heavy bottom sauce pan and heat onion. Fry the sliced onion till it becomes golden brown. Take out the fried onion from oil and keep aside.
5. In same oil add marinated meat and bay leaves. Sauté it till oil comes out.
6. Add 3 cups water and cook it under closed lid till meat is tender.
7. Add lentil and cook it with 5 minutes.
8. Add rice and 6 cups hot water. Mix well and cook it under closed lid on high heat 10 minutes.
9. Add fried onion, cumin powder and clarified butter and cook it on low it 15-20 minutes.
10. Serve hot beef khichuri with your favorite salad.