Ladoo / Laddu
By Rownak Jahan,
March 18, 2012Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
• 3 cups sugar
• 1 and 3/4 cups water
• 2 cups chickpeas flour(Besan)
• 1 cup water
• ¼ teaspoon saffron imitation
• ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
• Oil to fry
• 2 tablespoon clarified butter(optional)
Also needs perforated ladle/boondi ladle.
How to make:
1. Heat the water and sugar in saucepan on medium high and bring a boil. When sugar is dissolved, turn off the heat. Syrup needs to be lukewarm.
2. Mix chickpeas flour with water and saffron to make smooth thick batter.
3. Heat oil for deep frying. Oil needs to more than 1’’ deep. Otherwise boondi will not be round. Oil needs to medium high. (To test the oil temperature) drop little bit of batter, if it rises immediately without changing colour that means oil is ready.
4. Hold the ladle on the top of hot water and pour ladleful batter. The batter will drop through the holes into the oil. Don’t over crowd the pan (If the batter is too thick it will not drop, that means batter is too thick. Need to add little bit water to make right consistency).
5. Fry them till light golden but we don’t want them crispy. Take out the boondi from oil with slotted spoon and put them directly into lukewarm syrup. Soak in syrup 2-3 minutes and take out boondi from syrup.
6. Repeat the process for rest of batter.
7. Mix the cardamom powder, ghee and sprinkle of water in the ready boondi.
8. Take small amount of boondi and squeeze gentle between your palms to shape of ball.
9. Finish the rest of boondi repeating the process.
10. Enjoy Ladoo/laddu.