Methi Kalia / Spicy Fenugreek Meat
By Rownak Jahan,
May 30, 2012
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
In Bangladesh if somebody wants to even think about rich food, it will go like korma, polau (pilaf), kalia in this order. I know all of us know how to cook kalia so Methi kalia will be bit different and interesting recipe for us.
Methi / fenugreek seeds has very unique flavour but don’t use too much of it which will turn your dish bitter. The recipe actually is for mutton. If you make with beef, use less ginger paste.
• 1 kg small curry cut meat (beef/ mutton)
• 1 large onion sliced
• ½ cup onion paste
• 3 tablespoons ginger paste
• 1 tablespoon garlic paste
• 1tablespoon coriander powder
• 1 tablespoon chilli powder
• ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
• 1 teaspoon cumin powder(optional)
• 2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds paste
• 2″ cinnamon stick
• 1 bay leaf
• ½ cup oil
• Salt to taste
How to make:
1. Marinate meat with all spices (except onion sliced), 2 tablespoon oil and salt. Let it sits for at least half an hour.
2. Heat the pan with rest oil and fry the sliced onion till it becomes golden brown.
3. When onion is ready, add marinated meat and cook it till it becomes dry.
4. Stir well and add ½ cup of water. Cook again under closed lid.
5. Repeat this process (stir well and add ½ cup of water and cook again under closed lid) till meat becomes tender. For me it takes about 8 times to add water to cook the meat.
6. Check the salt and turn off the heat.
7. Methi kalia / Spicy fenugreek meat is ready to serve with roti, paratha, naan or rice.