Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
Molten Chocolate Lava Cake / Chocolate lave cake / self-sauce chocolate cake / molten chocolate cake which ever name you call it, it’s just little piece of heaven. You can use your favourite type of baking chocolate bar or chips. Different chocolate has different sugar level, so lick a bit to add sugar to your taste. I have used milk chocolate bar here. To make this cake usually ramekin (one type of small dish for baking and serving an individual portion of food) is used as a mould. Though you can use any microwave proof tea cup. I used tea cup here and make 4 small cakes though you can 2 standard sizes from this batter. Depend on size, baking dish and oven it will take 10 – 15 minutes. You can even use cupcake tray, for cupcake tray it will take 8-10 minutes. If your cake is not gooey (molten) inside that means you baked it too long, bake less time next time (though instead of Molten Chocolate Lava Cake, you will get brownies then still yummy). And I have used bit instant coffee here which really gives nice flavour so please use it. Enjoy.
- 100 grams butter(unsalted)
- 100 grams dark chocolate/ chocolate / milk chocolate(bar or chip whichever easy to get or you like I have used baking milk chocolate bar)
- 2 eggs(60 grams each)
- 1 tbsp sugar or to taste
- 3 tbsp flour
- ¾ tsp instant coffee(optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- pinch of salt
- powdered sugar as needed
- vanilla ice cream
- oil / spray oil to grease ramekins or cup
How to make:
- Spray or brush oil ramekins or cups.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together over a double-boiler, or microwave for a short time till it becomes smooth. Stir to combine. Add coffee in it and mix well.
- Whisk together eggs and sugar until the mixture is light yellow in colour, and sugar is dissolved.
- Stir the lukewarm chocolate mixture, vanilla essence and sifted flour together.
- Add the egg mixture and fold in with a spatula until combined. Pour batter in ramekins / cups, and tap on the table to settle any air bubbles. You can refrigerate for 30 minutes which is optional.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Place ramekins/ cups in a baking tray and Place tray on middle rack and bake for 12-15 minutes. Add water until it is halfway up the sides. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove, sit for about a minute then turn out onto a plate and serve with sifted icing sugar and vanilla ice cream. Chocolate lave cake / self-sauce chocolate cake / molten chocolate cake can be turn out, or served in the ramekins.