Nesesta halwa / Bombay Halwa
Nesesta halwa is a common sweet item usually made in almost all Muslim houses during Shab-e-barat . There are many ways (recipes) to make Nesesta halwa. There are many way to make this sweet, I find that it becomes easier and less messy with cornflour. This halwa is even called as Bombay halwa in some place. Please use quality ghee for best flavour. Enjoy.
• 1 cup cornflour
• 1 and 3/4 cups sugar
• ¾ cup clarified butter (ghee)
• 1/4 cup chopped cashew nuts
• ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
• Food colour
• Oil for greasing
How to make:
1. In a bowl mix 1 and 1/2 water and corn flour well so that it does not have any lumps. Keep it aside.
2. Add sugar with 1 cup water in sauce pan and bring it to a boil.
3. In a non stick fry pan add 2 tablespoon of clarified butter and cornflour mixture to it and mix, keep on very low flame. Stir it continuously.
4. When the mixture is thickening, switch off the flame and add sugar syrup little by little and keep mixing to avoid lumps repeat the same till syrup is finished.
5. Turn on the flame and keep stirring the mixture. Now add ghee very slowly keep mixing repeat the same process till the ghee is finished.
6. Now add colour, cardamom powder cook till clarified butter comes out.
7. Add cashew nuts mix well once it comes into thick jelly consistency.
8. Transfer it to a greased plate with oil and let it sets for 1hr.
9. Cut into small pieces (desired shape) and enjoy my easy Nesesta halwa / Bombay Halwa.
Tips: don’t grease plate with clarified butter. With clarified butter it stuck badly.