Sorse Ilish (User friendly for abroad kitchen)
By Rownak Jahan,
November 18, 2011Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 Hilsa Steak
Today I want to do some typical conventional Bangladeshi dish for me. For Bangladeshi people the most conventional, desirable and all time favourite food is Ilish. So I will do something with ilish. I will do sorse ilish. But I won’t do it in conventional way (Don’t kill me Ma). Because living in abroad I or we hardly get fresh Ilish and hardly anyone has mortar and pestle (pata puta).So I try to make sorse ilish user friendly for abroad kitchen. Try once and give your opinion. Your positive or negative opinion will inspire or improve me.
- 6 ilish steak
- 3 tablespoons hot English mustard paste
- 2 tablespoons onion paste
- 1 medium sliced onion
- 4-5 green sliced chillies
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil (optional)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
How to make:
- Rub the ilish pieces with ½ teaspoon and turmeric. Heat the pan with oil and fry the fish both side about 1 minute.(you can omit this part, if you have fresh fish)
- Remove the fish and in same oil fry the onion till it becomes soft.
- Add bay leaf, mustard paste, onion paste, salt and sliced chillies with 3 tablespoon water. Cook them till oil comes out.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cup of water and when it comes into boiling point add the fish.
- Let it cook covered till the fish is cooked through.
- Add coriander leaves and mustard oil and take off sorse ilish from heat.
- Serve hot sorse ilish with rice.