Tel Koi /Spicy Anabas (Climbing Perch)
Hi! Hope everyone had wonderful Eid. Anabas (Climbing Perch) is one of my favourite fishes. Before giving the recipe I should tell strange fact of this fish. During heavy rain Koi / Anabas(Climbing Perch) go out from water and starts climbing on earth(Interesting).
Bangladeshi who lives in overseas, misses 3 “F”s(Family, friends and fresh fish) and poor me don’t like to cook old frozen fish. But something is better than nothing (nai mamar cheye kana mama bhalo). Enjoy.
• 4 Koi fish ( washed and cleaned)
• 2 tbsp onion paste
• ½ ts turmeric powder
• 2 ts chilli powder
• 4 green chillies
• 2 tbs chopped coriander leaves(optional)
• Salt to taste
• ½ cup oil
How to make:
1. About cleaning Koi fish is very important (because mud inside head). Use tooth pick to clean inside head. Rub salt well to clean the fish. Cut 1-2 slits on each side of each fish.
2. Add 1/3 ts salt and ¼ ts turmeric powder to the fish and keep them aside.
3. Heat the oil and add onion and rest of spices; cook it becomes oil is separated. Add fish and cook 1-2 minutes each side.
4. Add 1/3 cup hot water (or enough water to cook) and green chillies; cook under closed lid till fish is cooked and oil comes up.
5. Add coriander leaves, cook 1 minute and remove it from heat.
6. Tel Koi /Spicy Anabas (Climbing Perch) with steamy hot rice or even polau.
Tips: you can add green peas or climbing spinach leaves (pui shak) in it.